OK this is a sweet and short blog post (my apologies for my lack of lengthy, literary skillz lately but I’ve been slammed with work, wedding planning, fitness regimes and the like).
Anyhoo, I’m not a shy person when it comes to food. I love food. I mean, I’m Italian after all, it’s sort of embedded in my genes. However, with my recent change in diet, I’ve started becoming accustomed to healthier alternatives for my once late-night caloric binges. So, with all that in mind, I wanted to share some of the healthy (!) foods that I’m obsessed with right now that may help you to re-think some of your food choices …
- Greek yogurt – I cannot get enough of this stuff. I’ll eat it for breakfast, as a snack, as a dessert … It’s so yummy and filling!
- Wheat wraps – An ol’ faithful but for some reason, I’m lovin’ them lately
- Hummus – Another great filler food! (Side note: With these first three food items, you would think I’m Greek.)
- Miracle Noodles – New to the scene but their 0 fat, 0 calorie soluble plant fiber content got me hooked! When you cook these, I suggest using low-sodium seasonings (e.g. an Italian blend). Upside to Miracle Noodles: 0 fat, 0 cals, 0 carbs. Downside: 0 taste so be sure to include some flavor to them!
- Reduced Fat String Cheese – It pleases my inner-mouse
- Dark Chocolate – I will never give you up. I just have to monitor my intake of you now!
- Thin wheat pizza crust – Perfecto for my pizza binges.
- Reduced Fat Ricotta Cheese – Another ol’ faithful but if you’re looking for an extremely low carb snack, mix 1/4 cup of ricotta with homemade red gravy (aka sauce). Heaven on earth, me swears it!
- Raw yellow/red/green peppers – A perfect companion for my hummus
- Nature’s Own Wheat Bread – I love the texture of it and just one slice will generally fill me up.
- Lean Ground Beef – Taco Tuesdays are a must in the Jim/Lauren household. Along with Meatball Monday.
- Red Wine – They say it’s good for the heart. I’m all for it. In moderation, of course. :]
- Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches – L-o-v-e. If you have a sweet tooth like me and crave a little somethin’ sweet in the evening, embrace the skinny cow.
- SkinnyGirl Margaritas – Perfect for Taco Tuesday … or any day. Olé!
- Bananas – I’m certainly tallyin’ me some banana.
Ahh — now I’m hungry. Is it lunchtime yet?!
Fill me in – what are some of your favorite healthy foods?